Animations of Self-Winding Watch Stop-Work
I have created 42 animations of stop-work used in self-winding watches, to be used in conjunction with the second edition of my book "The Origins of Self-Winding Watches" and my article on Breguet and mathematics.
Descriptions of the different stop-works can be found in "Origins" pages 360-369.
These animations repeat indefinitely, but they cannot be reset. If you have an old version of Firefox I suggest you install the following extension (unfortunately it does not work with versions 57 on): Firefox animation control.
There are 8 groups of animations (shown in the side-bar):
- Stop-Work Relative View
These animations illustrate the different perspectives that can be used in animations.
It is recommended that you study these animations so that you understand the different points of view used in other animations.
- Geneva Stop-Work
- Maltese Cross Stop-Work
- Breguet Watch No. 28
- Animations of Another Breguet Self-Winding Watch
- Breguet's 2-Pin Design
- Breguet's designs with equal segments
- Additional animations for my article "Meditations on Breguet and Mathematics"
The animations can be downloaded onto your computer by clicking on "Download Animations" in the side bar.
Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise
Just to confuse you, some animations rotate clockwise and other, apparently identical animations rotate anti-clockwise! The problem lies with Breguet's watch design:
- Ordinary watches: These watches use going barrels. From the perspective of the back of the movement, the hands rotate anti-clockwise (easy to see why using a mirror). So a going barrel mainspring has to be wound by turning the arbor clockwise, and then the barrel rotates clockwise to drive the center wheel and the hands anti-clockwise.
- Breguet watches: Breguet's self-winding watches have two mainspring barrels. These barrels do not drive the center wheel and the hands directly, but there is an intermediate wheel and pinion. As a result Breguet's barrel arbors and barrels rotate anti-clockwise to drive the intermediate wheel clockwise and consequently the center wheel and hands anti-clockwise.
So some animations rotate in the opposite direction to some other animations.